Techgirls & Techwomen
Empowers, connects and supports the next generation of women leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) from Africa, Central and South Asia, and the Middle East by providing them the access and opportunity needed to advance their careers, pursue their dreams, and inspire women and girls in their communities.
- November 2021: Fall 2022 program application opens.
- January 2022: Fall 2022 program application closes
- April 2022: Semifinalists are contacted.
- May 2022: Final selection decisions are made.
- September 2022 – October 2022: S. Fall 2022 TechWomen program.
Is packed with skill-development workshops and interactions with America’s most innovative tech professionals as well as 45 hours of study at a Tech Camp with our partner the Center for Enhancement in Engineering Diversity at Virginia Tech. The TechGirls program offers a rich cultural immersion experience, improves the participants’ ability to enter tech fields and encourages them to pursue higher education in fields where women are under-represented.
- Application will open on November 16, 2021 at 12:00PM EST.
- Application will close at 12:00PM EST on January 15, 2022.
- Semifinalists will be contacted via email on/around March 1 for the next stage of interviews. Final decisions will be made in early April. All applicants will be notified of the results of their application.
- Techgirls benefits +
Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States is covered by the TechWomen program. Domestic airfare from San Francisco to Washington, D.C. is covered by the TechWomen program.
Housing in San Francisco or Sunnyvale, California during the mentorship period and Hotel stay in Washington, D.C. are covered by the TechWomen program. Notes: TechWomen participants will be housed in San Francisco or Sunnyvale, California, depending on the location of the participant’s host company. Participants will share an apartment with a fellow Emerging Leader. Each participant will have her own private bedroom, while the living room and kitchen will be shared. The TechWomen program is unable to accommodate participants’ spouses, children, or other dependents.
- Accommodation & Meals:
Meals and incidentals are covered by the TechWomen program.
- Local Transportation:
Public transportation to the participant’s host company and Local transportation to group program events in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington, D.C. are covered by the TechWomen program.
- Fully Funded
- The TechGirls program covers the following costs:
- Roundtrip international airfare from participant home country to the United States.
- Housing during program (Double occupancy hotel or dormitory accommodations).
- Meals during program (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner).
- Local transportation to group program events.
- Cultural events organized by Legacy International.
- Emergency health insurance.
- Age: 25 – 35, 36 – 60
- Gander: Female
- Nationality: Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia.
Be citizens and permanent residents of Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinian Territories, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan or Zimbabwe at the time of application and while participating in the program.
- Required languages: English
Be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Required experience: 2 Years of experience
Be women with, at minimum, two years full-time professional experience in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) fields.
Please note that internships and other unpaid work experience does not count toward the two-year professional experience requirement.
- Have Bachelor Degree
- Have, at minimum, a bachelor’s degree/four-year university degree or equivalent.
Be eligible to obtain a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa. – Not have applied for an immigrant visa to the United States (other than the Diversity Immigrant Visa, also known as the “visa lottery”) in the past five years. – Not hold U.S. citizenship or be a U.S.
- Students eligible to apply are those who are from one of the following eligible countries:
Sub-Saharan Africa (AF) – Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Rwanda, and South Africa.
East Asia and Pacific (EAP) – Cambodia, Fiji, Indonesia, Mongolia, Taiwan, and Vietnam.
Middle East and North Africa (NEA) – Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia.
South and Central Asia (SCA) – Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, and Uzbekistan.
Western Hemisphere (WHA) – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Suriname
Europe and Eurasia (EUR) – Albania, Cyprus, Greece, Kosovo, Montenegro, and Turkey
United States of America
- Are between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange July 7th, 2022.
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in technology, engineering, and/or math in their academic studies.
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in technology.
- Have strong English language skills.
- Exhibit maturity, flexibility, and open-mindedness.
- Will attend at least one additional semester of secondary school upon their return to their home country; and
- Are committed to completing a community-based project upon their return home.
- Preference will be given to those who have limited or no prior experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have travelled to the United States in the last three years as part of any other ECA exchange program.
- First Step: Start the application through the link here: https://techgirlsglobal.org/instructions/
- Second Step: Prepare the following:
– A good photograph (headshot) (.jpg or .png, no larger than 2 MB)
– Your latest school transcript or report (PDF)
– You will complete eight essay questions. It’s recommended these are longer than 150 words and no more than 350 words.
– If you have a passport, you will need to include the number. It is not required to have a passport to apply.
- First Step: Start the application through the link here: https://apply.iie.org/TechWomen
- Second Step: write the following essays:
Essay 1: Describe your professional goals within your chosen track. How will a TechWomen mentorship help you achieve your professional goals? (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 2: Explain how you have demonstrated leadership, specifically in your chosen track. Highlight those professional accomplishments that you are most proud of and discuss the positive impact of your leadership. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 3: After participating in the TechWomen program, how will you leverage your experience and the TechWomen network to impact your home country and community? Please be as detailed and concrete as possible. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 4: Demonstrate your commitment to entrepreneurialism and innovation. Would you describe yourself as having an entrepreneurial spirit? If so, why? If you have found your own company, start-up, organization or initiative, or plan to do so in the future, please describe in detail. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 5: Describe a situation in which you faced an obstacle and explain how you were able to overcome it. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 6: Describe any volunteer, mentoring, or community activities in which you have participated, with a specific focus on how those activities have affected women and girls. Demonstrate how you have shown leadership in these roles and indicate any special awards or honours you have received for this work. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 7: TechWomen aims to select women who represent a broad and diverse community of varying ethnic, racial, socioeconomic and geographical backgrounds, and who bring a diversity of life experiences and viewpoints to the program. Describe what makes your personal journey unique, highlighting any aspects of your background that have shaped your educational, professional and/or extracurricular experiences. (Limited to 2000 characters).
Essay 8: Is there anything else that you think would be useful for us to consider when we evaluate your application? Please explain. (Limited to 2000 characters).